Tuesday 28 September 2010

The Right To Roam...


After a fantastic sea kayaking trip out off Malltraeth on Sunday morning I decided to explore the same coastline by foot. However, there was one small problem that had to be overcome, an old rusty sign stuck in the middle of a field which read, ' no trespassing.' Of course, if we were in Scotland this wouldn't be a problem as the 'right to roam' is statutory law, but here in Wales and England it's a little different. Needless to say, it didn't stop me, but I would advise anyone out walking, to think twice before venturing onto private land.
The area I wanted to explore is part of the Bodorgan Estate and is called Cwningar Trefri. I accessed it by crossing the Sand dunes at Aberffraw and by climbing up onto the headland at the far end of the beach. ( This being were I encounted the sign.) All I really wanted to see was the kind of coastline I'd find if I decided to paddle further out from Malltraeth with the intention of completing the journey at Abberfraw. And having made the effort to check it out, I think it will be a trip worth doing. With spectacular views across Caernarfon Bay and some beautiful sandy beaches to explore along the way, it could be a great day spent on the water. Let's hope it happens. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: